22 April 2022
Today is the 52nd annual “Earth Day”, and the theme this year’s event is Invest in our Planet.
What is Earth Day?
Earth Day is an annual event, held to promote support for environmental protection.
“This is the moment to change it all — the business climate, the political climate, and how we take action on climate. Now is the time for the unstoppable courage to preserve and protect our health, our families, our livelihoods… together, we must Invest In Our Planet.” – earthday.org
How can you get involved?
This year, events will be held in over 193 countries. There are many different ways you can get involved, including:
- Planting trees as part of The Canopy Project
- Joining a local clean-up effort
- Advocating for climate action at your business or workplace.
- Buy local and seasonal products.
- Using public transport to reduce your CO2 emissions.
How are we getting involved?
At Morrissey Chartered Accountants we recognise that climate change poses a huge threat to the economy, nature and society at large. As such, we have signed up to The SME Climate Commitment and are committing to take immediate action in order to:
- Reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by 2030.
- Achieve net zero emissions before 2050.
- Disclose our progress on a yearly basis.
This commitment is recognised by the United Nations Race to Net Zero campaign.
We are pleased to announce we are making the following efforts to help us Invest in our Planet:
- Installing 4kW Solar PV panels so the energy we use is renewable.
- Implementing a cycle to work scheme and electric company vehicles to reduce CO2 emissions
- Implemented a digital transformation project to help us go paper free
- Investing in ESG training for our employees so we are equipped to help you achieve your sustainability goals
- Volunteering with local clubs and charities to promote better health and wellbeing
- Advocating for climate action and sustainable practices
“We need to act (boldly), innovate (broadly), and implement (equitably). It’s going to take all of us. All in. Businesses, governments, and citizens — everyone accounted for, and everyone accountable. A partnership for the planet.” – earthday.org